VIOLIN SHAPED CARD TUTORIAL

by - July 28, 2015

Hello Friends, welcome to my blog!! As promised in my previous post am here with the details on making the violin shaped card.

I made the entire card using canvas paper. They are not only sturdy but  they also have a nice texture on them.


Mixed media work.:
Here are the steps I followed in creating a mixed media effect on the card:
1. I started off by applying a thick coat of gesso all over the violin.
2. Then using a modeling paste and stencil I created random textures.
3. Once its dried I used my homemade sprays ( acrylic paint+water+rubbing alcohol). 
4. Then I distressed the edges .
5. I applied blue glossy acrylic paint all over the sides of the violin.  



I was actually making a jewelry the previous day I made this card. So all my jewelry findings lay near me when I was embellishing this card. So you can see  many of my jewelry supplies being used in this project. The thread used for strings is a waxed cotton thread which I generally use for terracotta jewellery. And for the fine tuner knobs I used my oval shaped terracotta beads. 

The flowers are all handmade using recollections punches and decorated using small golden beads ( again from my jewelry stash...)The leaves are all handcut and distressed using yellow and green inks. 

I altered a shopping tag by distressing it with brown and green inks. Added a binder clip and wrote the sentiment using marker. For the upper bout section of the violon( top right ) I added a butterfly and a small heart shaped tag . I wanted to add some danglers , so once again used the  jewellery beads to make one. 
Finally added a bow using white ribbon. 

Tutorial:

1. Draw a shape of violin in a card stock and cut 2 pieces one for the top and the other for the base of the violin.
2. Measure the length of the curve using a thread. For convenience I have divided the violin into 3 sections. 


3. Measure the length of the first curve using thread and scale method. Let it be x.
4. Cut a strip of paper measuring 4 cm by x cm( the length of the curve). 
5. Mark 1 cm up and down on the cut strip and draw a line. 

6. Make a fold on the marked lines.
7. Cut small slits on the folded portion. 

8. Glue the slits to the base of the violin. The slits make it easy to follow the shape of the base. 
9. Similarly measure the length of the curve 2 & 3.and repeat the same process ( steps 3 to 8).

10. Glue the top portion of the violin to the upper slits.
11. Draw and cut the shape of the finger board. You can use card boards to make it sturdy. 
12. Now stick the fingerboard and the tailpiece to the body  of the violin. 



Hope this post is helpful to you !! Do leave your comments/suggestions.

Entering this project to the following competitions:

1.Lulupu challenge blog - " Anything but square and rectangle - " I have created a violin shaped card
2.Beyond grey challenges " Dimensional project"
3.Scrap around the world challenge
I was inspired by the colors and flowers.
4.We love to create challenge - " Anything mixed media"



You May Also Like

12 comments

  1. Its AWESOME..Perfectly explained tutorial x,y reminded m of algebra..maths :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really awesome n very well explained tutorial... Inspired to try one.love..Daksha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really awesome n very well explained tutorial... Inspired to try one.love..Daksha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful make, Ramya, great vibrant colors! Thanks so much for joining us at SATW this month.
    Sorry to inform you , SATW do not accept cards- Only Canvas, Scrapbook Layouts and Art Journal pages are accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is so awesome.Thank you for explaining in detail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful colors!! And what an interesting idea! Brilliant! Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Around The World this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply wow. The construction, mm effects and embellishments all show how much thought and effort have gone into making this. Thank you sharing this at lulupu and also for making a tutorial for the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun and colors :) Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Around The World this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant design! I hope you will come back next month with a layout or canvas! Your talent is so obvious sadly we do not accept cards. Don't give up I really hope to see you again! All the best from SATW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic Ramya! Love the cheerful colrs too! Thank you for joining us at Lulupu Challenge#51! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful violin! So colourful... I like all details here!
    Thank you for playing with us at BGC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a stunner ! so creative !
    Thanks for playing with us at BGC !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments